Saturday, June 18, 2011

Grilled Bratwurst

Brats on the grill is like a staple of summer meals. You have to have those brats, it's just one of those things. I like to par-cook my brats first by placing them in a pot of cold water and bringing it up to a boil. Once it boils turn it off and the brats are ready to hit the grill. You may have noticed in the picture another type of sausage on my platter. Well if you are trying to avoid all the fat and calories of a bratwurst here is a good alternative. Hillshire Farms makes a Turkey Cheddar Sausage that is really pretty tasty, has only 6 grams of  fat and 120 calories. It grills up great and I have made it my alternative to the bratwurst. Of course others in the household don't need to worry about that stuff as much so they get the real thing. Anyway today with our brats we are having grilled sweet and Idaho potatoes. I slice them about a 1/2 inch thick the long way, toss them with a little Olive oil, pepper, garlic powder and some Cajun spice. Try to put the sweet potatoes in a cooler spot on the grill as they will burn easy, otherwise I start the potatoes before the brats as they will take just a little bit longer. Also I made a foil boat, chopped some onions and tossed them with a little Olive oil, the same seasonings and put them on the grill in a hot spot at the same time. You will need to give them an occasional stir. They cooked up real nice and turned a nice golden color. Add a bowl of Sweet Bavarian Kraut and all your favorite condiments and you have a great summertime meal. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment