Sunday, June 19, 2011

Camping Out


A week or so ago I had the pleasure of camping with the youth group. Although we didn't have great attendance it seemed that everyone had a good time. Of course if your camping at some point in time you will need to eat. For our dinner on Friday evening we decided that we would have some Cajun chicken breast, fresh grilled corn on the cob and some potatoes in foil. It's all pretty simple stuff and we cooked it all on the fire, something I haven't done for a very long time. The chicken I seasoned up with my homemade Cajun spice and we covered a grate from Seth's small grill with foil, propped it up over some good coals with a couple of  large logs and it cooked up real nice. I would say it probably took about 30 minutes. Before we started the chicken I cut up about 8 Idaho potatoes split them into 2 foil packages seasoned with a little salt, black pepper and plenty of garlic powder. Also you need to add about 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter to each foil package, wrap it all up good and put those potatoes right in the hot coals. These took probably 45 minutes and I moved them around some to help them cook evenly. Just push on the foil package and if it is soft the potatoes are done. I had planned on putting some onions in with them but found that no one else really had any interest in them so I left them out. If you like onions toss some in there it really adds a lot of flavor. The corn we cooked in one of those grills that they have up on a post. We built a fire in it let it build up some good coals, covered the grate with foil and covered the corn with more foil. It seemed to be cooking kind of slow so when the chicken came off the fire the corn got moved and soon was finished. Now I'm not sure, either every one was pretty hungry or the food was pretty good, either way there really wasn't much left over and everyone seemed to be full or at least close because it wasn't long before it was time for s'mores. Now James made what he called a Boy Scout S'more. He had at least 6 marshmallows, a full bar of chocolate and 2 full graham crackers. It looks awesome and I can't believe he ate the whole thing. We had a good time, ate well and I thought it would be nice to share with you our experience of cooking on the open fire. If  you are doing some camping you might try some of this out. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment